The latest round of the Photography Scavenger Hunt is just ending. This round had a twist: all images must be straight out of camera - in other words: no photoshop!
[insert shocked expression here]
I didn't want to compromise my style so I tried to go the opposite route and build all the stuff I'd normally composite in Photoshop in real life.
This is how I got the shot for "Coffee"
The concept was simply Death stirring a giant cauldron of coffee, ya know, as Death does. I really have no idea where the idea came from - I just thought of it, and dang it, I am going with it.
I did a crappy job of capturing the behind-the-scenes shots, so you're going to have to use your imagination here, but I started with the cauldron. Giant cauldrons at toy scale is the same as coffee mugs at human scale, so I started there. I wanted a metallic look tho, so paints would be required. I cut out a skull design from cardboard I got from a cereal box (Shreddies, if you must know), and glued it onto the mug. I then painted the whole thing with fleckstone paint (for texture) and a black primer (cause black). I then drybrushed on some copper to get that old metallic feel.
Disaster almost struck tho. I sprayed on a clear coat to protect my paint job when the mug slipped and fell onto the ground, breaking into 3 pieces. It sucked. It sucked a lot. I may have cursed. Heck, I know I cursed (Cursing is good for the soul when you've witnessed some of your best work shatter on the ground - try it! (the cursing part, not the best work shattering part)). I decided to make the cracks part of the story, and glued it back together. I then fixed the paint job and hoped for the best.
Death is stirring the coffee, so he needed a spoon. I didn't have a giant Death sized spoon, so I carved one out of popsicle sticks. I don't have a BTS of the spoon I used, but I have one of some oars I made for another shot (and never used), so you can use your imagination:
To get the shot I put a Lume Cube under the cauldron. I also stuck a Lume Cube in the cup itself. Then it was a simple matter of spraying in some smoke from my smoke machine, and shooting (and praying the smoke all looked good).
This is the shot I submitted to the hunt: